Historical Fiction 1900 . . . Book Recommendations Anyone?

I’m compiling a list of books for teachers that take place at the turn of the century. If you have a book that fits this category and it’s a PAL book (see the SCBWI website for guidelines . . . Scbwi.org ), let me know. Or, if you’d just like to suggest a fabulous one you’ve read, that’s fine too.

And for non-writers who are book lovers, just sent me a great historical fiction title for kids, set around the time of 1900. Thanks! Liz

Tags: ,

No Responses to “Historical Fiction 1900 . . . Book Recommendations Anyone?”

1. laure latham says:

Hi Liz,

I wrote a two-part article (with teachers in mind) on books for children on San Francisco. Some of the stories take place around the turn of the century. Here are the links:
    Younger readers: http://www.sfkids.org/Content.aspx?id=11080
    Older readers: http://www.sfkids.org/Content.aspx?id=11370

Hope this helps.

Laure

• lizbooks says:

Hi Laure – These are great articles! And I think Mama’s Bank Account was a movie, wasn’t it? Now I have to read this book! Al Capone Does My Shirts is a favorite of mine, and I’ve always enjoyed By the Great Horn Spoon! However, Deborah Hopkinson’s book looks fabulous, so I’m adding that one to my growing reading list too! Many thanks! Liz

2. Libbi Rich says:

I believe that Sidney Taylor’s marvelous “All-of-A-Kind Family” books take place around the turn of the century.

• lizbooks says:

Perfect! This series is one of my very favorite from my childhood. Thank you for helping me remember part of my past. I have the entire series on my bookshelf. Now I will reread them again. (I always wanted two daughters. One of them I’d name Ella . . . ) Liz

3. Jennifer says:

Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer is set in 1890s I believe. Also, I think Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher and possibly Caddie Woodlawn, although I’m not sure about the time on those.

What about time fantasy? Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer, Time at the Top by Edward Ormondroyd.

4. A few more books popped up over on my FB page for you:

A Drowned Maiden’s Hair by Laura Amy Schlitz
    Counting on Grace by Elizabeth Winthrop

5. lizbooks says:

Thanks Susan. A Drowned Maiden’s Hair is one of my favorite books of all. I’ll want to read the other one. You are getting great responses! Liz

6. lizbooks says:

Although not turn-of-the-century . . . this book does sound good!

One reviewer has stated the book, The Bravest of All appears to be during the time of the Great Depression – 1929, early 1930′s. Indeed, the book was inspired by my father’s family who lived in Kansas during the Great Depression. Brad Sneed’s illustrations reflect that time, as well.

The Bravest of us All – picture book, Dial Books for Young Readers 2000

Illustrator Brad Sneed ISBN-0-8037-2409-8

*Atlanta Parent Monthly Best Books of 2000

*Bill Martin, Jr. Picture Book Award nominee, Kansas Reading Association, 2001

*Missouri Show Me Readers Award Nominee 2002-2003

*2001 Missouri Reading Circle (reading list sponsored by Missouri Reading Assoc.)

*Tennessee Volunteer State Award nominee